The City of South Burlington maintains the records for all births, deaths, marriages and civil unions for people who were residing in South Burlington at the time of the event. In order to obtain a certified copy of a vital record we must have 3 things:
- Type of event – birth, death, or civil marriage or civil union
- The name on the record such as child’s name, bride and groom name, etc.
- The date of the event.
If you wish to receive a certified copy of a vital record, there are several ways to request it:
- Stop by the office with the necessary information.
- Mail in a letter with the necessary information, a check for the certified copies ($10.00 per copy) and a self-addressed stamped return envelope. Mail the request to: City of South Burlington, Attn: Clerk’s Office, 575 Dorset St, S. Burlington, VT 05403
- Call the city clerk's office at 846-4105 and we can walk you through paying by credit card (which has a convenience fee of 2.8% plus a site visit of .60 to process). Select, Vermont, South Burlington and Vital Records Copy from the drop down lists. Please put firstname.lastname@example.org when it asks for the e-mail and we will be notified when the payment is made. This is to enable the clerk's office to send out the vital record as soon as payment is confirmed.
The City of South Burlington will only issue certified copies on State authorized certificate paper in order to help protect our citizens from having the certificate altered.