Board of Civil Authority (BCA)

          The Board of Civil Authority (BCA) are all elected officials of the City of South Burlington and derive their charges from State Law.  Their duties vary from performing civil marriages, notary public, hearing appeals regarding assessed values and working with the City Clerk in running all elections.  This includes maintaining the voter checklist, testing of tabulating machines, and working the polls on election day.  

The Board does not meet on a regular basis but as needed.  They meet every year in late July or early August to begin hearing tax appeals and approximately 2 weeks before every election.

The BCA is comprised of the five City Council members, fifteen Justice of Peace members and the City Clerk. The current members include:

Justices of the Peace and City Clerk:

Chris Shaw, Chair
Chris Trombly, Vice-Chair
Laura Benner
Albert Gross
Barbara Gross
Sheldon Katz
Jason Kirchick              
Maurice Mahoney
Pat Mahoney
Jacob Martinez
Bob Nowak
Jessica Quinn
Lynn Vera
Cecile Wagner
* one vacancy
Donna Kinville, City Clerk -846-4119
 (All Justice of the Peace members were just elected in November 2022 & Donna Kinville is up for re-election in March 2024)
Council members:
Tim Barritt - Term ends 2024
Andrew Chalnick - Term ends 2026
Tyler Barnes- Term ends 2025  
Meaghan Emery - Term ends 2025      
Helen Riehle - Term ends 2024        

If you wish to contact the Board of Civil Authority, please call Donna Kinville at 846-4119 or send a letter to:

          South Burlington Board of Civil Authority
          c/o Donna Kinville, City Clerk
         180 Market St
          South Burlington, VT 05403

Appealing assessed values:
If you are appealing your assessed value after your meeting with the City Assessor (during the grievance timeline in the spring) you must submit your appeal in writing to the Clerk of the BCA at the address listed above within the state mandated timeline.  For more information contact either the City Clerk at 846-4119 or the City's Assessor at 846-4103 or read the booklets: Are you Appealing and A Handbook on Property Tax Assessment Appeals.