Land Records

deed books
We are now located at 180 Market St with office hours of 8:00 - 4:30 Monday through Friday. 

The City Clerk's office is the place where anything that involves the purchase or sale of land or house whether built or renovated is recorded and filed.  It is through these documents that a person would be able to prove title to a property, determine lot dimensions, get sales information and much more.  The City of South Burlington’s Clerk Office is one of the busiest offices in the State of Vermont and the money that we receive from recording these documents helps to support the budget of our office.

 Property Fraud Alert - be notified by email when a document (such as a deed, lien, mortgage, etc.) is filed in the South Burlington City Clerk's land records.


                                                            Vermont Recording Fee 

                        Per H.526 (approved by VT Legislature 2019 session)    32 V.S.A. §1671      

Document recording fee*                           $15.00 per page
            Multiple assignments or releases included on one document are charged $15 per assignment or release.
PTTR (property transfer tax return             $15.00 per document
Survey plat/map (18 x 24 only)                   $25.00
UCC's (not in land records)                         $25.00
Examination of the records                          $  4.00 an hour
* Documents include all items recorded in the land records (deeds, mortgages, assignments, liens, releases, permits, etc.)
The City Clerk’s Office is responsible for recording all documents which pertain to land and property in the city.  The most common documents are:
  • Warranty Deeds
  • Quit Claim Deeds
  • Mortgage Deeds
  • Power of Attorney Deeds
  • Stormwater Deeds
  • Act 250 Deeds
  • City Permits
  • Maps or surveys (18 x 24 mylars)
  • Liens

The clerk’s office can assist citizens who stop by our office to locate their deed, find recent sales information or find the survey of their property just to name a few of the services we can offer, however please bear in mind that we are not attorneys and cannot offer any legal advice.

To Record Documents:

Please send all recording with the appropriate fee (above) to:

                        City of South Burlington
                        Attn: City Clerk’s Office
                        180 Market St
                        S. Burlington, VT  05403

All recording will be processed the day it is received, and originals mailed back usually within 2 weeks of receipt.  A self-addressed return envelope will assist in reducing the amount of time it takes to return the documents but is not required.

For questions regarding taxes (copy of tax bill, receipt of payment, amount of taxes owed) please call the tax department at 846-4109 or visit the tax department's section of this website.

For questions regarding assessed value of property please call the assessor’s office at 846-4103 or visit the assessor's section of this website to obtain the lister/assessor card.