Winter Maintenance Reminders
The Department of Public Works would like to remind all residents of the upcoming winter season with a few highlighted items that help us all have a safe winter.
- The City's winter parking ban is from December 1 - April 1, midnight to 8:00am and prohibits parking on City street This offense comes with a fine and could result in your car being towed.
- We would also like to inform you that Vermont State Statute 23 VSA 11 0 2(a)(2) states, " An enforcement officer can remove an unattended vehicle which is an obstruction to traffic or to maintenance of the highway to a garage or other place of safety." This statute is also applicable to the many cars who park in their driveway so that the rear of their car overhangs onto or entirely sits on the sidewalk, causing an obstruction for our sidewalk plows.
- South Burlington is home to many homeowner associations who hire private contractor to plow their driveways, walkways, common areas, et State Statute 23 VSA 11 26(a) states, " No person , other than an employee in the performance of his or her official duties or other person authorized by the City Council (in the case of town highways), shall plow or otherwise deposit snow onto the traveled way, shoulder or sidewalk of a state highway or a class I , 2 , or 3 town highway."
- Also, please remove all other obstacles from the right-of-way, including basketball hoops, skateboard ramps, etc. These items, if left roadside, are likely to be damaged by our winter maintenance vehicles and will not be replaced by the City if damaged.
- Please do not place your trash or recycling containers in the road where a plow may knock them over.
- Thank you for your help in ensuring a safe winter for all. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at 658-7961.