There has been a delay with when Change of Appraisal Notices will be mailed. Expect to see them mailed in the middle to end of May. The reappraisal will be completed on time and new values will be in effect for the 2021-2022 tax year.
Important things to remember:
- This is a mass appraisal and your new value should be close to what you would sell your property for if you were going to sell it.
- If you do not agree with your new value, please call the 800-phone number on your letter. Due to COVID, grievance hearings will be held either over the phone or by zoom meeting.
- The deadline for filing a grievance is 14 days from the date the letters are mailed. This date will also be on the change of appraisal notice. All requests received by the deadline will be heard. Please do not wait until the 14th day to request a hearing. Also do not wait to receive your new tax bill, you will have missed the deadline for this year. You may only grieve your assessed value, not the voter approved budgets for property taxes.
- 2021-2022 tax rate will be lower than the current tax rate.
The citywide reappraisal will be revenue neutral. Some property owners will pay more and some will pay less, however, the total revenue to the City will be the same following the reappraisal. While your new property valuation may be higher than your current valuation, it is important to understand that your property taxes will not change by the same ratio, because the 2021-2022 property tax rate will be lower than the current rate. Using the City’s current tax rate to estimate your 2021-2022 tax bill will result in an inaccurately high projection of the taxes you will owe.
- When notices are mailed, an excel spreadsheet will be available online by street showing old values and new values for the entire City.
- For those who do not have a computer or choose not to fill out the grievance form online, please call the 800-phone number and the hearing officers for Tyler Technology will fill the form out for you.
- If you agree with your new value, you do not need to do anything.