Looking for Zoning Certificate of Compliance? Click here
Development Review Board or Planning Commission meeting Agendas & Packets
DRB Application Status & Table of Recently-Issued Zoning Permits Click Here
Online Parcel Data Viewer Click Here
The Planning Commission is considering updates to the Environmental Protection Standards' component of the Land Development Regulations. Visit the project page for more information.
Accessing the Planning & Zoning Department
In the continued effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19, we highly encourage contact via email for questions. See our list of Planning & Zoning FAQ's for the most commonly asked questions. We strongly encourage scheduling phone or videoconference appointments with Planning staff if you would like to discuss your project in-depth.
Our forms and fees can be found here. Newly added, July 2020: How-To Guides for our most common permits. Please submit permit applications through email. We offer a variety of payment options: check by mail (address on our forms), drop off at the City Hall dropbox, and online credit card payment. We can confirm fees and provide guidance on your best option, just let us know if you have any questions. If you would rather drop-off any items, including payment, there is a drop box located right outside the main doors of City Hall.
Please do not hesitate to contact staff for a phone or teleconference meeting. Our department number is (802) 846-4106 and our department email is email@example.com. And here is a link to our staff directory.
Please visit our permitting page for various applications listed below. Email and electronic payment is preferred, but we can also accept via US mail.
- Zoning Permit Applications (Must be signed by property owner. If you are the property owner, please be sure to authorize as both as the Owner and as the Applicant). Note: in order to aid with social distancing, for the time being, we will accept an email from the owner / applicant as proof of authorization in lieu of an actual signature.
- Certificate of Compliance (please be sure to fill-in the name on deed, property address & date)
- Sign Permits – Permanent
- Backyard Chicken Application
- Applications For Development Review: All plans must be provided as individual sheets and named to include sheet number and last revised date. No hard copy submissions are required.
In consideration of the extreme impacts that Covid-19 has had on businesses in the community, the Department has extended a series of temporary permitting measures related to outdoor seating, pick-up areas, temporary signage, food trucks, and peddlers through June 30, 2021. Please follow the link above for more information
Development Review Applications & Forms: Note: many Development Review applications require a pre-application conference. Please call our office at (802) 846-4106 prior to submission. Application forms for all types of development review are available online.
Searchable Permit & Development Review Database
The City has undertaken a significant project to digitize our records over the past year. We are pleased to be able to offer permitting, development review, and permit research online.
You may view zoning permits and development review documents using our Searchable Archive . Click here for our User Guide. The Archive contains records of Development Review Board (and their predecessor, the Zoning Board of Appeals) decisions and supplemental materials from the 1960s forward, zoning permits (starting with most recent, presently available back to 2005), permanent sign permits and infrastructure and landscape bonds. Note: at times the system can reach its maximum number of users. When this happens, you are sent to a login screen. Simply come back to this page and try again in a few minutes if this happens. Thank you for your patience
Planning & Planning Studies
The City has a multitude of projects ongoing. Some key resources:
- Draft Environmental Protection Standards. The City is considering a series of amendments to the Land Development Regulations addressing natural resources. Visit the project page for details.
- In progress: Planned Unit Development /Subdivision/Master Plan Updates. . For the latest on this project, including draft amendments to the Land Development Regulations, Interactive Map Viewer, and forest habitat blocks studies, Planning Commission guidance, and Interim Zoning Committee final report, please visit the project website.
- In progress: Interim Zoning studies. Four Interim Zoning Studies have now been completed. Links to each will be provided shortly.
- Library of Completed Studies. The City maintains a library of prior transportation, natural resource, and land use projects. Please visit these.
- Contact us. Staff will be working, in part, remotely. We are happy to set up phone or videoconference meetings to continue to gather input on specific projects, as well as your broad ideas for the future. Contact Director of Planning & Zoning Paul Conner at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact us by phone at (802) 846-4106. In the event we are working remotely, we will be checking voicemail and get back in touch with you. Email is encouraged if possible, however.
We are committed to providing timely and responsive answers to your questions in a manner that keeps everyone safe and healthy. We appreciate your help in limiting the spread of the virus. Thank you.
- Proposed Amendments to the Land Development Regulations. Several amendments to the City's Land Development Regulations are under consideration by the Planning Commission & City Council. Please select the link above for information and the status of each, including public hearing dates and locations.
- Interim Zoning. On November 2, 2020 the City Council held a public hearing and voted to extend the Interim Zoning bylaw and its related Map of Excluded Areas for a period of 6 months to May 13, 2021. To submit an application for development under the Bylaw, please complete an application and deliver it to the Department of Planning & Zoning.
Other Recent Work
- In August 2020, staff provided a presentation to the City Council on the history of planning & construction of east-west roads in the City. Link to meeting video and to presentation slides.
- Staff, on October 1st and 15th 2018, gave a two-part presentation on development trends in South Burlington to the City Council.
- On Election Day 2018, students from St. Michael's College, led by Professor Vince Bolduc, conducted exit poll interviews on a range of subject areas in South Burlington. The results of this poll were presented to City Council on February 4th.
Vision & Goals
The City's 2016 Comprehensive Plan lays out four principal goals for the community:
Here and Into the Future, South Burlington is...
- Affordable and Community Strong - creating a robust sense of place and opportunity for our residents and visitors.
- Walkable - Bicycle and pedestrian friendly with safe transportation infrastructure.
- Green & Clean - Emphasizing sustainability for long-term viability of a clean and green South Burlington
- Opportunity Oriented - Being a supportive and engaged member of the larger regional and statewide community.
Beneath each of these goals, of course, are several sub-goals addressing affordability, strong neighborhoods, quality services & infrastructure, energy, natural resources, and economic development. We invite you to take a look at the City's Comprehensive Plan, to see where South Burlington is focused as a community.
Planning & Development Review
The Department's work falls, generally, into two areas:
- Long Range Planning: land use & transportation plans, preparing the City's Land Development Regulations, natural resources work, etc... [related links: Planning Commission, Bicycle & Pedestrian Committee, Comprehensive Plan, Ongoing Projects, Completed Projects]
- Development Review & Permitting: review of proposed development, signs, and permits for construction of all types [related links: Development Review Board, Permit Application Forms, Land Development Regulations, FAQs]
We're located at City Hall, 575 Dorset Street, South Burlington, VT, 05403.