City of South Burlington
November 7, 2022, 7:00 PM
The legal voters of the City of South Burlington are hereby notified and warned that a public hearing will be held at the South Burlington City Hall, 180 Market Street, South Burlington, Vermont on Monday, November 7, 2022 at 7:00 P.M. for a second reading and potential final passage of a proposed new City ordinance regulating heating systems and service water heating systems in new buildings.
The ordinance will require that all new buildings in the City of South Burlington utilize a renewable primary heating system and a renewable service water heating system. The objective is to achieve a high degree of conservation of energy and, where possible, reduce emissions of greenhouse gasses. This will be achieved by requiring the heating and service water heating systems in all new buildings to meet specified energy efficiency performance standards and maximum allowable heat loss standards.
Specifically, the proposed ordinance:
- Requires that all new buildings in the City of South Burlington utilize a renewable primary heating system and a renewable service water heating system.
- Defines new buildings as all new construction of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings with a heating source and/or a service water heating source.
- Includes a two-year exemption period from the renewable service water heating system requirement for multi-family, commercial and industrial new buildings.
- Defines renewable primary heating system as a heating system that meets at least eighty-five percent (85%) of the building’s design heating load calculated per the applicable Vermont Building Energy Standards energy codes and is fueled by electricity, wood pellets or wood chips, or other renewable fuel.
- Defines renewable service water heating system as a service water heating system that is fueled by electricity, wood pellets or woodchips, other renewable fuel, or solar thermal energy.
The proposed ordinance also includes a process for obtaining a waiver from the requirements of the ordinance and mandates the appointment of a building inspector.
A copy of the proposed ordinance is available upon request at the City Clerk’s office, South Burlington City Hall, 180 Market Street during regular office hours.